1/2 cup Haden’s Aquafaba
1/4 tsp cream of tartar
2 tbsp vanilla
2/3 cup water
1 tbsp agar agar powder
1 1/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup powdered sugar for dusting
- Dust the bottom of an 8”x8” pan with powdered sugar and set aside
- Put the aquafaba in a mixing bowl with the cream of tartar and mix on high for 6 minutes until very fluffy.
- Add some vanilla extract and whip for 3 more minutes until it is white again and it forms very stiff peaks. In a small saucepan, combine water and agar agar and bring to a boil.
- Boil the water and agar agar for 3 minutes, stirring frequently. Add sugar and boil for another 3 minutes stirring constantly over medium-low heat (be careful not to cook to hot or you will burn and caramelize the sugar).
- Turn off the heat and add the hot sugar mixture into the beaten aquafaba. Add this mixture slowly while beating aquafaba with a mixer set to low for about 30 seconds. This will turn the fluffy white mixture a little shiny. Quickly pour it into the pan that has been dusted with powdered sugar.
- Dust the top of the marshmallows with powdered sugar and let sit and cool at least an hour. Cut into 1” squares and dust all sides with powdered sugar.
- Turn your oven to 150* F. Once it reaches that temperature, turn it off and set your cubed marshmallows in the warm oven for about an hour to dry out a little.